Asbestos is a catch-all term that refers to six naturally occurring minerals called silicate minerals. These materials work great as electric insulators, are resistant to heat, and thus became ubiquitous in buildings through the 1900s.
Unfortunately, it was eventually discovered that when asbestos gets into the air, it can have serious negative health consequences for human beings that are exposed to it. Nowadays, buildings are not made using asbestos, but there is always a possibility that asbestos could be found in old buildings. Here at Downright Demolition, we offer asbestos testing and removal services in Edmonton and the surrounding areas.
It is important to recognize that you have the potential to be exposed to asbestos when your home or building is being renovated or demolished. Therefore, it is always important to get your space tested before you start any work in the property. Our team at Downright Demolition has the proper training and safety certificates in Alberta to do this for all our clients.
When can asbestos fibers be released into the air?
- When you are disturbing or removing insulation, including the insulations surrounding hot water pipes and furnace ducts
- When you are removing or disturbing roofing materials such as shingles, siding, felt, caps, etc.
- When you are removing, sanding, breaking apart any vinyl floor or ceiling tiles
- When you are scraping or removing older surface treatments such:
- Roofing compounds like tar paper
Did you know that breathing in asbestos fibers can cause serious and life threating injuries? The risks can include but are not limited to:
- A scarring of the lungs called asbestosis.
- A rare cancer in the lining of the chest or abdominal cavity called Mesothelioma
- Lung cancer
Thankfully, there are no significant health risks if the materials that contain asbestos are undisturbed or sealed behind walls and floors.
How can you reduce the risk of exposure for you, your family, and your workplace? By hiring a professional, like Downright Demolition, to test for asbestos before you do any renovations, remodeling, demolitions, or additions. A thorough test will be completed and if asbestos materials are found it will have to be removed and properly bagged and disposed of.
Our team at Downright Demolition makes sure it gets down right. Read our asbestos page for more information on our services or reach out to our team for all your asbestos needs.